What To Do After a Storm
No matter how much preparation or planning, there is no telling what damage a storm can leave behind!
Collapsing roofs, broken windows, hazardous debris, and standing water in your home are just a few damages that can be left behind - along with possible mold growth from water getting into carpets and furniture.
Following these steps after a storm strikes will help keep you and your family safe:
If you smell any gas shut off the gas line.
Look out for any broken glass, sharp objects, or nails that could cause a risk.
While taking these immediate precautions, contacting a reputable restoration company such as SERVPRO of Society Hill as soon as possible to help in the recovery process. Our goal is to dispatch out a team out to inspect damages within the hour of your initial call to us.
Next you will want to photograph any damage they may have occurred to have on record for your insurance company, as well as contacting your insurance company to get an adjuster out to survey the damage.
After all these steps are take just leave the rest to SERVPRO of Society Hill to clean up any mess no matter the extent. We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week including holidays.
Soot, Soot, go away!
Fire and smoke damage can be devastating to personal property and structures. Quick action is the only way to minimize the destruction.
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, IICRC, is a globally recognized organization whose mission is to establish higher industry standards. As a referral source for consumers, IICRC certified firms are more likely to provide a faster, better service than non-certified competitors.
Restoration costs increase and damages escalate when the cleaning process is extended. By using an IICRC certified technician, owners will be rewarded by having the damage stopped so repairs can begin.
What happens only minutes after the disaster? Immediately after a fire, soot residue settles onto the property. Discoloration of porous materials is permanent, but other surfaces may be properly cleaned to remove the discoloration. Acidic soot begins staining other surfaces if not treated quickly.
Within hours all surfaces begin to suffer from fire and smoke damage. Wooden furniture may require refinishing. Metal begins to rust, pit and corrode. Painted walls begin to yellow. Clothing can become permanently stained. And finally, flooring may require refinishing or replacements.
If left untreated, within weeks the restoration process will take longer and cost more. Prolonged soot exposure permanently harms all surfaces and embeds in fibers. Replacement of property may be the best option at this point.
The structure may continue deteriorating if not properly restored by SERVPRO of Society Hill.
6 Tips to Protect Your Philly Home While on Vacation
Many people go on vacations during the summer months, leaving their properties unattended. SERVPRO is the #1 choice in restoration services to property owners, property managers, and vacation rental agencies. The need for routine inspections, maintenance, and restoration is very important to prevent any potential damage while the properties are vacant.
Here are some tips to make sure your property is taken care of while you’re relaxing!
- Secure doors and windows: Before leaving, double-check that all doors, windows, and entry points are securely locked. You don’t want water to make its way uninvited.
- Inform trustworthy neighbors or friends about your vacation plans. Provide them with your contact information and ask them to keep an eye on your property.
- Maintain your property's exterior: Before leaving, ensure that your property's exterior is well-maintained. Trim trees and bushes, mow the lawn, and remove any potential hazards or debris that could cause damage during your absence.
- Unplug non-essential appliances: To prevent electrical fires or power surges, unplug non-essential appliances, such as computers, TVs, and kitchen appliances. This also helps conserve energy while you're away.
- Check water sources: Turn off the main water supply or shut off individual water valves to prevent leaks or flooding. Consider installing leak detection devices that can alert you to any water leaks or pipe bursts.
- IF EMERGENCY OCCURS: Inform your security company and emergency contacts, such as SERVPRO of Society Hill/Downtown Philadelphia. We are available 24/7.
Vacation is supposed to be a relaxing getaway from reality. Performing these tips and tricks will help your family have a stress-free trip!
9 Tips to Keeping Your Pets Safe During an Emergency
Saturday, July 15th is National Pet Fire Safety Day! It is important to include your furry family members into your emergency plan should a fire ever occur. You want to make sure they know their way out of the house during an emergency.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in the United States, an estimated 500,000 pets are affected by house fires annually, with a significant number suffering injuries or losing their lives. Here are some tips to keeping your pets safe during a fire emergency:
- Develop a clear and well-rehearsed evacuation plan that includes your pets. designate a meeting point outside where everyone, including your pets, can gather safely.
- Display pet alert window stickers.
- Ensure that your pets wear collars with identification tags at all times.
- Pets can accidentally knock over candles, lamps, or space heaters, causing fires.
- Consider installing pet-specific fire alarms or detectors that can detect the unique frequencies of a pet's distress call.
- Take steps to minimize the risk of fires in your home. Don't leave pets unattended near open flames or hot appliances.
- Include essential supplies for your pets in an emergency kit, such as food, water, medications, and copies of vaccination records. Keep this kit easily accessible in case of an evacuation.
- Inform neighbors or nearby friends.
- During a fire emergency, pets may become frightened and seek hiding spots. Be aware of their favorite hiding places and inform firefighters or rescue personnel about their likely locations.
Show some love to your pets and make sure they are ready to escape during or following an emergency. Call SERVPRO Team Paparone immediately following any fire damage restoration services. We are HERE TO HELP® 24/7.
Why SERVPRO of Society Hill for Water Damage Restoration
Property damage doesn’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Society Hill provides emergency cleanup and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. No damage is too big or small for our team!
Why is immediate response time crucial?
The short answer: to keep a bad situation from getting worse. In many cases an immediate response will help contain and minimize damage, thus reducing cleaning and restoration costs. The sooner the cleanup process starts, the better.
Here are a few immediate steps you can take to help speed up the process:
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible. Once you have filed a claim with your insurance company, SERVPRO of Langhorne/Bensalem can take it from there to determine next steps.
- Call SERVPRO of Society Hill, who provides 24 hour, 7 days a week emergency service by having a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you.
- Document the damage by taking pictures or videos for the insurance claim.
- Shut off the water source so no further damage is created.
- Turn off circuit breakers.
- Don’t enter affected areas!
Use technology such as alarms and/or smart home monitoring systems that can be managed and monitored even when you aren’t home!
Is you Philly Business Emergency Ready?
ARE YOU READY FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS?
No one plans for disasters, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have too. Partnering with SERVPRO of Society Hill, ensures you’re ready for whatever happens to your business or commercial property. By preparing now, you demonstrate excellence in readiness planning by compiling a comprehensive information resource to use in case of a disaster.
WHY SERVPRO’S EMERGENCY READY PLAN?
By having an immediate plan, you minimize potential business downtime when disaster strikes. Here’s why SERVPRO’s ERP is the way to go!
- 50+ years in disaster recovery experience
- 2,000+ service provider locations
- This means there is a SERVPRO in your area within a two-hour distance
- 20,000+ SERVPRO Personnel
- No Retainer/Upfront Costs
- SERVPRO’s Emergency Ready Plan is completely free to utilize. We will come out to do a free assessment of your property while storing all the property information in one place.
- Largest Supply of Owned Equipment
Our Ready Plan is designed to be a start-up approach that provides critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services.
If you and your business are interested in learning more about our ERP profile, please contact our offices at 215-772-1203.
What Your Homeowner and Renter's Insurance Covers
Do you live in Philadelphia with renter’s insurance or homeowners insurance? Do you know what your insurance covers if you are hit with water damage?
No worries, SERVPRO of Society Hill has your back. Our partnership with State Farm has allowed our professionals to understand the ins and outs of insurance. Here is what renter’s insurance covers - in short, it covers all the things you own.
1. Accidents - this includes objects damaging your property
2. Weather impacts - any damage resulting from a natural
3. Malicious mischief - this includes vandalism, theft, riots, & vehicle damage
4. Loss of use - if your home or property is damaged and uninhabitable after a covered loss, living accommodations and expenses that accrue will be covered by this type of insurance.
According to Forbes and the Insurance Information Institution, every year about one in 50 homeowners file water damage claims, accounting for 29% of all homeowners insurance claims. It is important to be aware of what your insurance covers and the steps to take in the event of water damage.
SERVPRO of Society Hill takes pride in relieving stress from our customers and clients. Our professionals are equipped with the knowledge and resources to be the middle person between our business and their insurance claims.
What To Do Before, During and After Water Damage
We cannot control Mother Nature; when she hits Philadelphia, we need to make sure we are ready to go for whatever damage she leaves behind. We can’t control the weather but we can control what we do to prepare for the before, during and after water damage.
Here are the things you should do before, during and after water damage to make the remediation process easy for you.
- Make a list of all the things you own; furniture, clothing, valuables
- Fill out a Family Emergency Plan (list of all emergency contacts), or if you are a business owner/property owner - fill out our Emergency Ready Plan
- Have a To-Go Bag that you can grab if you are rushing out in a hurry
- Be aware of what your insurance company covers when damage unexpectedly hits your home or business.
- Turn off water valves and electricity circuits
- Call you insurance company to file a claim
- Stay away from any flood water whether it’s from a storm or a leaking pipe. You’re unfamiliar with where the water came from.
- Call SERVPRO of Society Hill, give them the insurance claim number. After communicating with the insurance company, our crews will be dispatched out to your home to assess the situation and discuss next steps.
- Depending on the damage will determine what happens after the damage is assessed by our professionals. We take pride in making sure the water damage remediation process is as smooth as possible for our customers.
Flooding is the most common U.S. natural disaster, and Pennsylvania has the highest flooding rate of any state.
If your home or business is suffering from water damage, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Society Hill now at 215-772-1203.
SERVPRO Host The First Responders College Bowl Game
It’s that time of year! Football season is upon us and SERVPRO hosts The First Responders College Bowl Game on December 27th in Dallas, Tx. SERVPRO takes pride in supporting their local first responders and SERVPRO of Society Hill is proud to be a part of that initiative.
SERVPRO has been sponsoring the bowl game since 2014 and has given our franchises the opportunity to honor local first responders on a national level. Rick Isaacson, CEO of SERVPRO, said, “The SERVPRO First Responder Bowl is one way we celebrate these dedicated first responders and their families as the hometown heroes they are.”
Each franchise will nominate a local first responder to be considered for special recognition at this year's game. One nominee will be selected to experience an all-expenses-paid trip to the game where they will be presented with an award.
The SERVPRO First Responders Bowl also has a virtual Everyday Heroes Wall that honors these courageous people in our community. If you know someone who has committed to risking their lives every day, view the Everyday Heroes Wall page to submit a photo of your frontline hero!
PA Launches Flood Zone Mobile Tool
Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States so it is super important to know your local flood zones. Do you know if you are residing in a floodplain? If not, you're in luck!
The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency recently released a mobile tool to help residents learn more about their flood risks. PEMA released this tool to allow all data released from FEMA to translate into an all-access application. Residents can use this tool via their desktop computer, mobile phone, Ipad, etc.
If you are living in a low-lying area, expect flooding after excessive rain storms. This area of land is called a floodplain. There are four common types of flooding:
- Riverine floods occur when excessive rain overwhelms water streams which leads to runoff flooding into the adjacent lower leveled areas. According to PEMA, areas in Philadelphia most impacted by this type of flood include, Eastwick, Manayunk, East Falls, Delaware Avenue, Kelly Drive, Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, and watershed parks.
- Overland and street runoff occurs when excessive rain flows across roads and streets. This tends to happen when sewers are unable to handle the volume. Areas in Philadelphia most impacted by this type of flooding include Chestnut Hill, Roxborough, Andorra, Germantown, Torresdale.
- Groundwater occurs when the ground is saturated with flood water and it ends up seeping through floods and walls of building structure basements. Areas mostly will impact exists citywide, but ultimately will depend on rainfall and snow melt.
- Basement backups occur when underground sewer systems are overwhelmed by excessive rainfall. The overwhelming amount of rain and sewage gets forced into basements through drains, sinks or toilets. If you live in Germantown, Kensington, Northern Liberties. Center City, South Philadelphia and Port Richmond, you may experience this type of flooding.
To learn more about your local flood zones, click here to access the flood risk tool! If you are suffering from damage after a storm/flood surge, call SERVPRO of Society Hill now for water damage restoration services at 215-772-1203.